Monday, September 17, 2012

Surprise Visitor at the Architect's Lecture

Alice Walton thanked Mrs. I and me for serving as volunteers.

My wife and I are volunteers to greet people at various lectures. Once I offered to be the bouncer, but the crowd was rather tame for that session. Yesterday I took on the coffee and tea table, little realizing they would serve fresh gourmet cookies from the restaurant.

I was managing the refreshments like a boss when I looked up to see Alice Walton. Chris and I both thanked her, because the family donation is a constant source of education, relaxation, and inspiration for both of us. It was a good thing I finished my cookies already. Crumbs have a way of flying when talking.

Alice thanked us for volunteering. LI said he has never met a Walton family member one-on-one.

The Walton children grew up taking care of the Walton Five and Dime in downtown Bentonville. It was a tiny store, now a museum and vistors' center for Walmart.

They decided to dedicate the family land near Crystal Creek, giving the community something of lasting value. Alice spear-headed the project,  much criticized for buying art and arranging for joint-ownership of one large collection. The result of this spree was giving needed cash to various museums. Any single Walton could have done this and locked up the paintings for private viewing only. Instead, they gave them to the community, making Crystal Bridges a destination for everyone who loves art.



The $1.2 billion American art museum forms bridges
across Crystal Creek, where the Walton children used to play.
They donated their family land and the money to build this for NW Arkansas.

http://www.marlonblackwell.com/

This little Orthodox church is off I-540 on the way to Fayetteville.
They wanted a low cost alteration to their tiny church, low budget.
The inside is so attractive that we want to visit it.
Marlon Blackwell spoke yesterday. He is not the main architect for Crystal Bridges but was invited to design the gift store after CB was already under construction.

We were there early, as required, so we met Marlon before he spoke, trading stories about the hazards of book publishing.

This is not the ordinary gift store.
Crystal Bridges.

The wood above was cut by computer so it would fit and still be low cost.
Crystal Bridges gift store.