Thursday, February 28, 2013

Museum of Idolatry - Intrepid Lutherans


bruce-church (https://bruce-church.myopenid.com/) has left a new comment on your post "The Know-Nothings in Fox Valley, WELS...They Know ...":

Good post on Intrepid--collection of sorry church growth videos from the past:

Real? Relational?? Relevant??? O THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!! FEBRUARY 28, 2013

http://www.intrepidlutherans.com/2013/02/real-relational-relevant-o-horror-of-it.html


THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 2013


Real? Relational?? Relevant??? O THE HORROR OF IT ALL!!!

This is when it all started to happen. Relevance... back in the 1970's... sure ain't what it used to be. My, how the flower it doth fade... The fact is, THIS is what swiftly happens to man's version of "relevance." Thirty years from now, today's "relevant" and "relational" worship leaders are going to look just as "groovy."



"Jesus is a friend of mine (Jesus is my friend);
"Jesus is a friend of mine (I have a friend in Jesus);
"Jesus is a friend of mine (Jesus is my friend);
"Jesus is a friend of mine;
"He taught me how to pray, and how to save my soul;
"He taught me how to praise my God, and still play Rock 'n Roll;
"The music may sound different, but the message is the same;
"It's just an instrument to praise His name!"


That was "groovy," wasn't it? ...ZAP!



The sad thing is, I'm old enough to remember that stuff. I remember being tortured with it as a kid. Here's another one. This puppet-character was so "relational," I think Hollywood later made a slasher movie out of it.





This is the way it looks when you try to be "real," "relational," and "relevant." It looks like you're trying, and bless the man's soul, he is trying. Pretty obvious, too. But instead of trying to be something we're not, can we please be what we are as Lutheran Christians and do what we've always excelled at? Can we please just work at equipping the Church with competent Christian poets, composers and musicians who are trained in the Fine Arts?




The rest of the videos are at Intrepid Lutherans.