Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Roses for Memorial Day

 I was not going to take flowers to the eye doctor's office,
but the Veterans Honor roses were in full bloom.

The new, young eye doctor brought my eye pressure down to an ideal level (two sets of drops daily). He thought my glaucoma would stay under control with drops. Other tests came back fine. He and the assistant were pleased that my ability to read very small print had improved with the drops (think TLH prayers). Both said, "That is not expected, but welcome."

Glaucoma testing involves more than the eye puff or the blue halo light. The vision field test is also very important. No one can feel or see glaucoma. The pressure destroys the eyes slowly.

This morning I was not going to cut roses, which I do for most medical visits. (One PA hates them, but she loves dogs, so we still like her.) I was walking out the door when I saw several Veterans Honor roses in full bloom.

I grabbed the conveniently located shears, a bud vase, and cut three. After all, yesterday was Memorial Day. Not only does this rose honor our military, but it is a perfect red, with great fragrance, and lasts forever in a vase. By the time I got to the office, the Town Car was filled with fragrance.

The office was pleased to get them, and people thought a little more about our veterans and what they have done for our country.

Tomorrow I will be pruning a lot of roses simply because they are blooming so fast. That wil energize them for more growth.

It may rain tonight. On another day like that, a reader talking on the phone said, "I know. Because it is going to rain, you are emptying the rain buckets and barrels." Someone reads these posts!

The Crepe Myrtle newbies are showing their red-green leaves, new growth, springing up like teenagers. Creation Gardeners know that drought tolerant plants still love the rain. Besides that, I would rather harbor roses the skeeters.

Dig a hole, add water, mulch, prune.
God will take care of the insects. Ignore blackspot.