Saturday, October 6, 2018

Our American Lutheran Heritage Goes Far Beyond the LCMS Bishop with Syphilis and His Crafty Stooge, CFW.




Did you know that the General Council and the General Synod in the late 1800’s included hymns in the back of their Small Catechisms?
Here’s one from the General Council Small Catechism from 1882.
Enjoy!

13) O How Shall I Receive Thee

Wie soll ich Dich empfangen. 7, 6.
| 1 O HOW shall I receive Thee,
| How greet Thee, Lord, aright?
| All nations long to see Thee,
| My hope, my heart’s delight!
| O kindle, Lord, most holy,
| Thy lamp within my breast,
| To do in spirit lowly
| All that may please Thee best.
|
| 2 Thy Zion palms is strewing,
| And branches fresh and fair;
| My heart, its powers renewing,
| An anthem shall prepare.
| My soul puts off her sadness
| Thy glories to proclaim;
| With all her strength and gladness
| She fain would serve Thy name.
|
| 3 Love caused Thy Incarnation,
| Love brought Thee down to me.
| Thy thirst for my salvation
| Procured my liberty.
| O Love beyond all telling,
| That led Thee to embrace,
| In love all love excelling,
| Our lost and fallen race!
|
| 4 Rejoice then, ye sad-hearted,
| Who sit in deepest gloom,
| Who mourn o’er joys departed,
| And tremble at your doom:
| He who alone can cheer you,
| Is standing at the door;
| He brings His pity near you,
| And bids you weep no more.
Paul Gerhardt. 1653.