Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Roses Delivered for the Snow Storm

 All My Loving is an intense pink rose.

Facebook reminds me of my duties as often as Sassy does. I keep getting prods to publish again on Creation Gardening.

Just before our Arkansas blizzard rolled in, some bare root roses arrived from Edmund's. I was ready to ship them back, but Ranger Bob said, "No, I will help you dig them in!"

The blizzard consisted of two inches on the ground, clear streets, and 0 degrees - very cold for here. On Monday, schools were closed or late opening. We were at the doctor's office at 7:30 AM -no one was there. Our cell phone rang, "I wanted to tell you we are closed today, because of the big storm."

The weather is warming up for digging. Meanwhile, the roses have been sitting in a wastebasket, with water half-way up. I also sprinkle the canes.

There are many stories about roses being forgotten when they were soaking - for weeks.

My best story about beaten-up roses is from California. They arrived in a warm truck and looked like McDonalds burgers kept in the warming cells too long. I pruned the canes and roots aggressively, after soaking them in rainwater. The result was the fastest growth I have ever seen in newly planted roses.

 Falling in Love is pink, white, and scented.