Monday, April 22, 2019

Doting Works in the Creation Garden

Next to the mailbox is the 2012 Crepe Myrtle.

 This is the same bush in 2017.


Long ago I agreed to let agricultural partners and associates and subsidiaries send me information about gardening. As a result of that, and a few modest purchases, I reached critical mass and found many gardening catalogs and offers in the mailbox and emailbox daily. The temptations were great to try this or that plant, photographed by professionals from 3 inches away, printed in ravishing colors on glossy paper or in the best graphics. Unfortunately, the specimens that enticed me arrived as seeds to be devoured by garden critters or plants equally satisfying to devour. "At least I added organic matter to the soil," I said to myself.

Every year I pick a few plants to dote on, to spoil, to give the most attention. For example, I did everything possible for the straggly Crepe Myrtle in the front yard. One aspect was placing mushroom compost, grass clippings, wood mulch, and leaves at the base. The second concentration was pruning. I cut away branches gone to seed and all extra growths up to eye level. Like roses, Crepe Myrtles will put more energy into the bloom if the roots are no longer feeding extra growth. Pruning also promotes new bud growth and expansion of the root system.

When I tell our seminarian, "It's going to rain," he finishes the sentence - "so you are going to water the roses." That is exactly right. I have barrels and buckets holding rainwater in the back, but I also dump them out before they become mosquito obstetrical wards. I haul rainwater to the front and give roses - and some starter plants - extra hydration and usable nitrogen at the same time.

Sassy and I walked this morning, and it was cool and breezy. She guarded our front lawn while I fetched rainwater from the back and wood mulch from beside the driveway.

I remember the great Dr. Abraham Malherbe at Yale teaching about this construction in Greek - "each and every one." In watering and mulching each and every plant, I found the roses that needed more water, some mulch, a little trimming. Some new bare root roses do not quite make it out of dormancy, so I look for those and give them a boost if it seems possible. Falling in Love was a rose I thought I lost twice and yet came back.

Older roses have extensive roots, leaf out earlier, and begin to grow new canes. Now we have warm weather, bright sun today, and steady rain tomorrow.

The Crepe Myrtle is still dormant, but the two Clethras decided to sprout. I snipped away their seed remnants, to spark some growth.

Some Ways To Dote on a Few Plants

  • Grow them where they will be seen - that also scares rabbits away.
  • Mulch them with paper, cardboard, or shredded wood.
  • Save rainwater and pour it on certain plants and see how much difference it makes.
  • Pruning promotes growth, so a little pruning each day pays off.




Now Appearing -
Daisies are just starting to grow, so is Joe Pye.
Cat Mint started early and is already a large mound ready to bloom.
Mountain Mint is growing too, adding scent to the air.