Tuesday, December 31, 2019

The CORE - WELS Discussions



You've heard of churches with coffee shops but have you ever considered going even further to win the lost?

  • Scott Kruz And I just realized today it's the "Apple"CORE!
    1
  • Scott Kruz (We like downtown Appleton and were so surprised to see this.)
    1
  • David Jay Webber Do you mean going all the way to Cappuccino or Latte to win the lost, rather than just regular coffee?
    6
    • Scott Kruz Double shot of espresso and a pint of Jack Daniels.
      4
    • Alan Lubeck I'd be saved if my church had a roller skating rink, Coke machine, waitresses to serve me dinner during a long sermon, and a putt putt Golf course in the worship parlor. Sadly, I'll never become a Christian in my dull, repetitious, traditional Divine SSee More
      2
  • Teresa Rittmeyer Lorenz I always wondered where the name came from. I'm from IN, but really enjoy their sermons
    3
  • Meg Smith Scott I’m not from WI. Can you please provide more information about this picture and what this place is?
    1
    • Scott Kruz Meg, it's a building on the site of a WELS church in downtown Appleton.
    • Meg Smith Scott Kruz and is there something “wrong” with this church?

      There are a lot of store front churches in LA.


      “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20

      Church doesn’t have to be in a traditional church building.
      2
  • Hunter Hill I'm confused... what is this?
    1
  • Brian G Heyer How many years of synod subsidy??
    1
    • Meg Smith Brian G Heyer if it’s a wels church why would this matter?
    • Brian G Heyer Depends how many surplus millions synod thinks it has to life-support a daughter-church three blocks from a different established WELS church, then count the noses of WELS members showing up for the enthusiasm as if they're saving new souls.
      6
    • Jeffery Clark Brian G Heyer at least a decade. It was getting it before the sexual harassment situation and was still getting it just a few years ago... and are probably still getting it if they can afford to buy and renovate a new building while still paying on the old one...
      1
    • Brian G Heyer All these years and somehow still can't afford to plant a cross on top of the building, even affixed to the chimney.
    • Dianne Dexter I could be wrong but I don't think they are getting a synod subsidy and never have. I may be misinformed. You may wish to ask a member or the office.
    • Jeffery Clark Dianne Dexter They have gotten subsidy in the past to finance their buildings and call a mission pastor. If my memory holds from September when I last read the report, they are still getting subsidy for mission/outreach.
  • Meg Smith What’s the point of this post?
    7
  • Jim Hearn What was the point in starting a church plant only three blocks away from an existing congregation. That seems awfully close.

    Were there plans to vacate the older, existing building for the newer one?
    2
    • Trisha Rose-Lickteig Jim Hearn Yes they bought the old Kohl’s foods that was vacant. I think they’re planning on selling the movie theatre setup they’ve been using.
    • Jeffery Clark AND giving it synod-backed subsidy. If the local congregation wanted to start and fund an outreach ministry, that's one thing... but this is getting synod funding from CMO.
  • Trisha Rose-Lickteig Is that a tattoo parlor in the back of the building?
    1
  • Suus Turley This is a large reason I dont want to attend WLS. This synod is going downhill fast.
    1
RECENT ACTIVITY