Monday, June 8, 2020

Amazon's HAL Asked Me a Question - I Could Not Resist



Are they GMO or hairloom?

Thank you for answering the question.

Your answer was posted under Gregory Jackson, PhD, your public name. To change your public name, go to your profile. The customer who asked the question will get notified of your answer.
Answer
They do nothing for my hair. I do not think they are GMO. They grow great. I sow them before or right after a rainstorm. Sometimes the seeds carry over the winter. During the summer they often seed themselves, and the bees love them. They are supposed to help increase the beneficial insect population overall.
Gregory Jackson, PhD

Outsidepride Borage Herb Plant Flower Seed - 1 OZ


***

GJ - Every so often I get asked a question on Amazon. I bought a pound of Borage seeds from this company, since I scatter the seeds without fear of them taking over gardening spaces. (Please do not mention Buckwheat, which grew higher than the roses during a very rainy summer.)

We are just getting into summer heat, so the insects are abundant. The beneficial insect population is busy with the many pollinating plants. At first the early weeds pop up with tiny flowers, just right for the early bees. 

 Counsin Comfrey reminds me of some family reunions. That is all I will say.

Borage started early with some volunteers from last year. The thick layer of leaves protected them from frostbite. Cousin Comfrey is a bully plant, taking up a lot of space in the Butterfly Garden. I plan on adding two more because Comfrey are definitely in the plant and forget style of gardening. I could have circled the garden with them, because they caught up with the Neon Spirea in size - and they bloom constantly.

Our storm was supposed to arrive on Tuesday, so I used some time on Sunday to encourage the new roses with buckets of rainwater. 

Blackberry plants are prospering in the rain and sun. I thought the three Little Joe Pye plants would be swamped by them on the side of the house. But Little Joe is doing well, having the advantage of growing in place each year, rather than trying to own the planet, as Blackberries do.

Likewise, the Joe Pye in the Rose Garden are reaching six feet. By being so large, they overshadow weeds and outgrow slug and bug munching.