Saturday, June 13, 2020

Not Bee Balm - BEE BALM!


Photos were working before, but not now.

I decided I really needed Bee Balm in Phoenix. I ordered it, and Bee Balm never got started well - too hot, too dry.

As I mentioned before, I fell for this promotion of a bunch of Bee Balm in the fall. I got a package of roots, soaked them in rainwater, and planted them in cold weather in the cold soil. I read reviews that suggested I only added organic matter to the garden. Nothing would grow but despair, self-recrimination, and nagging doubts.

But in the spring, gloom turned to delight as Bee Balm appeared in various locations, exactly where I planted to soaked roots. Rainy weather was ideal for them, since they are mints that love to grow.

This year the plants are so tall and vigorous that I reported a Bee Balm flower in the middle of one Joe Pye, a very tall plant. The leaves are similar. Today, more awake and perceptive, I saw the red Bee Balm was as tall as Joe Pye and starting to bloom - red, bad wig - attractive to bees and butterflies alike.

This is definitely a case of having my worst conclusions turned into this - "I was really smart to order those bargain roots."

When Glenn Miller despaired of getting established in music, he asked Benny Goodman about it. (I heard Benny Goodman live at Wharton, in Moline). Goodman said, "Just keep doing what you are doing."

As many big band fans know, Miller established himself as a supremely accomplished leader of the modern orchestra. I read some criticism of him in the movie write up, and I thought, "I never head of you critics, but I can name all kinds of Glenn Miller classics."

Aristotle said, "Patience and courage are so close to each other than one is either the mother or the sister of the other."

The Bible encourages us to have patient endurance. Many troubles, disorders, problems, and diseases go on and on. The world is so contrary to the Gospel that no issue is too tiny and inconsequential for people to mock or to hold against the Christian Faith.

Hebrews 10:35 Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward.

36 For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

---




"Rejoice, My Heart, Be Glad and Sing"
by Paul Gerhardt, 1607-1676






1. Rejoice, my heart, be glad and sing,
A cheerful trust maintain;
For God, the Source of everything,
Thy Portion shall remain.

2. He is thy Treasure, He thy Joy,
Thy Life and Light and Lord,
Thy Counselor when doubts annoy,
Thy Shield and great Reward.

3. Why spend the day in blank despair,
In restless thought the night?
On thy Creator cast thy care;
He makes thy burdens light.

4. Did not His love and truth and power
Watch o'er thy childhood day?
Has He not oft in threatening hour
Turned dreaded ills away?

5. He ever will with patience chide,
His rod falls gently down,
And all thy sins He casts aside
And in the sea doth drown.

6. When silent woe thy bosom rends,
His pity sees thy grief,
Supplies what to His glory tends
And to thine own relief.

7. He knows how oft a Christian weeps
And why his tears now fall;
And in the His mercy keeps
These things are noted all.

8. His wisdom never plans in vain,
Ne'er falters or mistakes;
All that His counsels did ordain
A happy ending makes.

9. Upon thy lips, then, lay thy hand
And trust His guiding love;
Then like a rock thy peace shall stand
Here and in heaven above.

Hymn #535
The Lutheran Hymnal
Text: Ps. 56: 8
Author: Paul Gerhardt, 1653, cento
Translated by: John Kelly, 1867, alt.
Titled: Ich singe dir mit Herz und Mund
Tune: Ich singe dir
1st Published in: - Harmonischer Liederschatz-
Town: Frankfurt, 1738