Monday, June 15, 2020

The Politeness of Birds and Squirrels

 By Norma A. Boeckler

Feeding time is twice a day in the backyard. I use garbage and the recycle barrels, conveniently color coded, to keep the food high and dry. The lids are designed to drain water away.



Having the seed out in the open prevents squirrel attacks on a narrow front, and their obsession with owning a feeder, even if it means destroying it.

The primary food is black oil sunflower seeds from a 45 pound sack. That lasts forever, and the cost is very low. They also like stale bakery products.

 I bought two bird feeders, filled them, and built a bird swing, just so Mr. Squirrel could perch there and pretend to be a Fuzzy-Tailed Cutebird.

The squirrels take part in a schedule. They are not the first to eat. Normally, the starlings are. Squirrels will hop up and feast on both barrels and then leave. I throw seeds into the yard to give more creatures something to find.

The original squirrel-bird fights have disappeared. They are all used to a generous and regular supply. In fact, they will leave seeds overnight for the next morning.

 By Norma A. Boeckler


Male and female cardinals eat at the same time, one on each barrel. I figure they are nest-mates because of this arrangement. Male cardinals are especially territorial, which means we get to see bunches of them only in winter, never in spring.

As others have said, the female cardinal is just as beautiful as the mail. Because both are shy (compared to the starlings), it is especially fun to see them.

The birds and squirrels are programmed for respect. They fuss but do not harm each other.

Every so often, it is little bird time. The finches show up to eat by themselves. I have seen common and goldfinches.



The grackles, cousins of the starlings, may show up in a nervous, jittery flock. They are likely to fly away the moment I am at the window, but in time they will calm down. I hear them creaking in the trees, sounding like metal doors or windows that need some oil.

Mourning doves appear for a snack, and some kind of rock pigeon did so as well.



Years ago the suet bags in Bella Vista perhaps attracted the pileated woodpecker; he posed on a tree for me to admire. Sassy scared him off the ground but he wanted to show off anyway. Later, some friends saw him pose the same way, as if saying, "I know how rare I am, and I will let you tell your friends about this." We still talk about it. Page views for the pileated were phenomenal.

 Starlings eat together and bathe together, rowdy, clever, and always looking for bugs to eat.


I am the local celebrity in the backyard, appearing with water for the three baths and seed for them all. A chorus builds as they share the news that breakfast is served with fresh water. First they sing Matins, then they come down according to that software installed in them at Creation.

I must also have some sub-routines installed in my nervous system, because their mixed sounds are charming, appealing, peaceful, and beautiful.




We praise thee, O God: we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord.
All the earth doth worship Thee, the Father everlasting.
To Thee all Angels cry aloud: the Heavens and all the powers therein.
To Thee Cherubim and Seraphim continually do cry, Holy, Holy, Holy: Lord God of Sabaoth;
Heaven and earth are full of the Majesty of Thy Glory.
The glorious company of the Apostles praise Thee.
The godly fellowship of the Prophets praise Thee.
The noble army of Martyrs praise Thee.
The holy Church throughout all the world doth acknowledge Thee;
The Father of an infinite Majesty;
Thine honourable, true, and only Son;
Also the Holy Ghost: the Comforter.


The creatures could teach a lesson on respect. They let one another share the bounty and seldom eat down to the last scrap. They are appreciative and give back generously. I told PFC that the carpet of wild strawberries in his yard is a gift of the birds who love the berries and plant the seed for him. 

Blue jays never attacked me when I got near their nest in Bella Vista, because I brought them cups of seed to bolster the hard-working parents.

I left seed for a robin in New Ulm, every day. If I forgot, she went out on a limb so I could see her. She reminded me of the value of black oil sunflower seed when she was so overworked.

 I started young.