Monday, July 27, 2020

Mark Steyn's Website Explains the Lutheran Ovaltine Set

 Andy Devine accidentally injured himself as a child, and that affected his voice, which became his trademark.

I was looking for some reading matter to promote drowsiness, so I looked for something entertaining on Mark Steyn's website. He is often on TV, his style reminding me of a 110 appliance plugged into a 220 electrical socket.

His guest reviewer discussed various Christmas classics, such as It's a Wonderful Life and The Bells of St. Mary. Mrs. Ichabod and I favor old classics. We watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for the 10th time and agreed it remains one of the best. We also saw A Star Is Born in its original 1937 form, with Uncle Jingles (Andy Devine) playing the role of publicist. Savvy entertainment reviewers like to show off their vast knowledge of all media and drop hints to make people confused. So I did that. He was in a Shakespeare movie (Romeo and Juliet) as well, so I imagined him saying "Plunk your magic twonger, Froggie" from his TV show.

In discussing the relative merits of each Christmas classic movie, readers began sparring with each other and the writer about their various opinions.

I thought, while reading the opinions, "There are just like the Lutheran Ovaltine set, expending vast amounts of time and energy arguing over trivia and getting very upset with each other. Likely they are as distant from each other - asking if Uncle Billy fits in It's a Wonderful Life - as the Lutherans are."

David Becker quoted me on the ALPB Online Forum, and they responded with hissy-fits and name-calling, aimed at me! The real issue is whether they can address the doctrinal issues instead of claiming our church is lodged in a garage.

I had fun on their site with the garage fantasy, but it made me wonder, "Why would a pastor promote a false scenario in order to feel superior?"