Monday, September 28, 2020

Bulbs Are Encased Flowers

Grape hyacinths cost about a dime each and they multiply.


Bulbs arrived just before the rain, so we had a chance to plant some and have them watered. The daffodils are primary, because

Critters do not eat daffodils or dig them up to plant elsewhere. I am talking about squirrels. 

In spite of vows, pledges, and promises, I bought a bag of strange purple tulips for the diabetes doctor and a few iris to try out a rainbow collection. Those two are subordinate to the daffodils. I was only going to buy daffodils. Tulips in Springdale? - neve again. Iris? - never bought them before. That comes from swooning over all the photos and not facing the task of digging.

Lest I forget, I bought a bag of grape hyacinths, which are not hyacinths or grapes - but cost 10 cents each. They can be included in a drift or two of daffodils. Like the buttercups, as Ranger Bob calls them, they will multiply over time. Tulips fade.

I watered the initial planting area for two hours, one day before planting. When we began digging the next day, the soil seemed as dry as before. However, the clay soil was dug and the daffodils planted, with fresh mulch on top to mark the planted area. Do not laugh - the mulch is a good cover and a horticultural bookmark.

Last night we were starting to fall asleep when clouds began booming. I said, "Ahhh." Mrs. Ichabod asked anxiously, "What's wrong?" I said, "Nothing. The rain is watering the newly planted bulbs, just what I wanted."

We had the initial threats of the storm during the Military Gardening Group meeting, attended by Ranger Bob, PFC, Sassy and me. We saw a rabbit duck under the Hosta leaves when it started to rain. Bob has the eyes of a hunter, so he spotted the rabbit first. I told him, "My people have eyes that are bad for hunting, good for accounting."

Ranger Bob got his dozen daffodils. I showed Bob and PFC the daffodil box. They could not believe it.

Our vet tech neighbor came by, so we were talking flowers and bulbs. "Need some daffodils?" She said, "I haven't shopped for them yet." That is when people bypass the purchase. Store bulbs are usually not that good. Not everyone is blessed with gardening catalogs and emails arriving daily. I made the purchase months before with that in mind. "I could use a few," she said about the bulbs just inside the door. "You should get a dozen." Her eyes lit up. Bulbs impress with a mass of color.

The idea is to have bulbs and flowers for everyone to enjoy. Unless there is a specific order and a known prices, I give the extras away. The lawn crew got a dozen daffodils to take home, too. 

Daffodils will come up in the early spring, flower, and fade before mowing/weed-eating time. Anyone can plant them in the lawn, mowing the first time once the greens are faded. 

Bee balms were cut back, so they began growing again.