Monday, September 21, 2020

Gulf Weather Maps Suggest Days of Rain

Heirloom

I start every day reading science fiction - the weather report. No matter what the forecast is, the results are far different. The gulf storms gathering now suggest that some of the action will have to move north, because of the crowded southern skies.

IBM's weather site suggests three days of rain for us, starting later today. That reminds me of sure fire investments of the past. "Can't miss!" However, I will act on the prediction and renew some roses.

I have one area of tall, thick grass of some type. The grassy weeds like to take over rose bushes and extinguish them. Weed killers are no good, because they are most effective against flowers. 

"Hello darkness, my old friend.

You've come to kill some grass again."

Yes, sun-blocking is the answer. I will cut the blades near the rose, lay down some paper for additional protection, surround the rose with cardboard, and cover the cardboard with cypress mulch. The grass turns into compost, and the area looks attractive again.

Ranger Bob spotted a blooming Heirloom rose, and called it Veterans Honor. I said, "No, the Veterans Honor rose is in a vase for one of our members. This is Heirloom, even more fragrant and a little purplish." (I misnamed it Sunday, but tis better to misname a rose than to have no roses at all.)

Nothing compares to Veterans Honor