Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Sassy and I Garden Before It Rains

Heirloom Rose was born old, with antique, old rose fragrance.

The bare root roses arrived a few days ago, followed by rain. I always study the weather maps to figure when I can plant without hauling buckets to the front. Ranger Bob asks for updates and often responds with anger and frustration. "Bob, I am in sales, not management." He tries not to smile, "I know. I know."

Procrastination is often a friend in gardening. I collected three (3) garbage barrels of leaves from my neighbor. Her grandchildren built a fort with them and left them in a big pile. I rolled in the barrel and hauled them back in three enormous piles. "I will rake them level tomorrow." Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love yah, tomorrow, you're always a day away.

My reward was yesterday, with the soil underneath soft, damp, easy to shovel. Maple leaves become mulch, a blanket to keep the soil perfect for earthworms and other soil creatures. In the sitting position, it is like rowing a canoe to use the big shovel. But rowing garden soil is not possible when clay and roots increase the labor. Then I have to stand and open up a place for the new rose. 

Over 100 cheerful daffodils in bloom reminded me how difficult that was - with help - in the autumn. At the time I said, "Never again," but now I am estimating where I can plant some more.

Sassy stayed outside with me and a visiting pooch came by to play a little tag with her and maybe get a snack from me. They walked through the garden together, so there were no rabbit sightings. I often see a bunny walk a few feet away from me when I am planting.

Mrs. Ichabod called from the front door, "When are you going to be done?" I replied, "How long is a piece of string?" She is never pleased when I quote the Oracle of Delphi. 

Gardening makes me think of the Biblical calendar. Every aspect of the Incarnation is described in the Old Testament. Often it is only a verse or a phrase, and yet these scattered Old Testament Promises are fulfilled exactly in the New Testament. I ask my Old Testament students to read Isaiah 53 and Psalm 22. Many are shocked by the point by point predictions of those passages.

And right now in OT class, we are discussing the shepherd boy David who became King David, born in Bethlehem, an unimportant village until many centuries later, when the Good Shepherd - the Son of David - was born there, as promised.

When expert supervision is needed, hire a German Shepherd. Sassy always picks a spot where she can observe all traffic.