Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Persistent Daisies

 Shasta Daisy

Last year I had some clumps of Shasta daisies, so I ordered a different variety which forms a mound of flowers. The new plant bloomed right away but the nearby established plants threated to engulf it, so I moved it to a sunny place. Growth stalled.

Meanwhile I had Shasta daisies all summer, which I grew for their virtue in hosting the Tachinid fly. That insect looks like a house fly but attacks the aphid population. 

The Whoops-a-daisy did not make much progress, and I tried to protect it. This spring it popped up again and suffered some more weed-whacking. However, it looked healthy but needy, so I poured fresh rainwater on it. 

I got a little bit of garden fencing that will clearly mark the unique daisy and remind me to give it extra attention. 

Meanwhile I am waiting to find out what kind of flower might bloom near our angel statues. The leaves of a new plant are very large and lobed, so I am thinking it was an extra item that came with an order last fall. Don't start on me! That happens to every gardener. I planted some balloon flowers which were free with an order. Now they are favorites for some who visit.

 Whoops-a-Daisy

Common Name: Shasta Daisy

‘Whoops-a-Daisy’ was no accident! It was the result of a planned breeding program at Walters Gardens, Inc. An improvement over the old standard ‘Snowcap’ in many respects; it’s time to look at this new dwarf Leucanthemum.

‘Whoops-a-Daisy’ forms an exceptionally dense, rounded ball-shaped mound of dark green foliage that becomes completely blanketed in large 3-4”, white flowers with gold centers from early through midsummer. It has better flower coverage and a more uniform habit compared to ‘Snowcap’, and the individual flowers have a fuller, fluffier appearance.

Try growing this cute perennial in containers or in the landscape where it will shine brightly near the front of the border.