Thursday, November 25, 2021

A Wonderful Thanksgiving Day

 

Christina is on the left, Maria on the right.

I just got off the phone with Maria Ellenberger Way and her husband, Kermit. We had a great time talking about coincidences in life, schools, etc. 

I was not playing Windows solitaire all day. I did some grading and posting, took Sassy for a walk, and began getting food visits. Just as the hunger hit, Team Hagar dropped off enough for a family of four. Soon after, Mrs. Gardener's son-in-law handed me a plate overflowing with food. 

Sassy pined for Ranger Bob, and he came with another packed plate of food. When I was talking  to Kermit and Marie about how she favored anything from Bob and played difficult with me, I saw Sassy listening to me, her face lighting up, and German Shepherd face grinning in agreement about the fun. For bedtime she went out for the promised treats, enjoyed them, and did the tickle-jump, but only after getting her lovey time with pets, praise, and a list of people who love her. She licked my hand as if she read the previous post on her management skills.

I was using my fake-martyr style when I said I was html coding while everyone was eating. I had already eaten enough and held back for pumpkin pie. Sadly, Bob was too full to have any pie with his coffee. But when he saw that as good news to me, he backtracked and accepted a slice "without whipped cream." His self-denial was touching.

I showed him the photos of me saluting his former military base (thanks to Bret Meyer) and asked for color prints of it. 



I saw a photo of Andrea wearing the cameo my mother gave to Christina, and it looked perfect on her.

Besides all that, the weather continued cold and the birds created a big show in the backyard. Juncos appeared for the first time and scurried on the ground for treats. I saw Cardinals and woodpeckers around the suet for the first time. The baby squirrels came in sizes cute, cuter, and cutest. They sit on the window sit enjoying their peanuts, fearless and with big eyes inches from me. Many generations have heard, "You are too old for milk now. Eat at the Jacksons. Their dog is harmless and the food is plentiful, with water on the side."

 "Is breakfast ready?"