Monday, November 15, 2021

Bright Sunlight - Roses Blooming - The Bible Book

 

 Notice how the review of A New Hearing for the Authorized Version ends with a slapdown of Letis and a promotion for the iffy New KJV.





 Theodore Letis, PhD

Someone pointed to the work of the late Theodore Letis, and I went through his Ecclesiastical Text book about the Bible. He graduated from Concordia Seminary, Ft. Wayne, but he seemed pretty bright nevertheless. 

My second time through I was frustrated by his writing in text critic style, as if he were addressing a few of those rare birds who squat on the Bible texts as if they own them.

However, I went to a page about him, which includes a number of YouTubes, where he spoke without notes but put up slides to show a few references. Aha - those are valuable offerings for everyone.

He died too soon, at the age of 53. Clearly he was a brilliant and independent thinker. I had already been impressed by Edward Freer Hills, who defended the KJV. Letis studied under him and took degrees and a PhD from various institutions. True text analysis is more a matter of learning than being taught, however training under Hills was definitely a plus - in what Hills suffered and learned. Say what you will about Harvard University, Walter Maier and Hills both earned PhDs there.

The anti-KJV emotions of the modernists are clearly revealed on this webpage, aimed at Letis. Using a term like KJVonlyism is a dead give-away, a dead give-away. Read and laugh.

I am going through the first edition of The Bible Book, word for word, and developing more material. I have a better, more complete perspective now that I have both sides of the arguments piled up on a book cart and falling over. The Pickering suggestion was essential and I think someone suggested Letis. You know who you are.

I know Christina would cheer for a second take-no-prisoners edition. I raced through the first edition while talking about the sub-topics with her. I did not tell her the book was dedicated to her, but she said toward the end of the writing, "I saw my picture up front some time ago."

I worked out a new way to grade homework, once a week, so the book will be a daily stretch of enjoyment.

Sassy gave me her special cracked-voice demand to go for a walk and get some Vitamin D3. We saw her buddy Alaska and his staff. A young mother trotted by, pushing a buggy and holding the leash of her dog. 

The Enchanted Peace roses are blooming in our garden, sunny and 65 degrees. If the nights are not too cold, we could get more miniature blooms the next week. 

 Enchanted Peace likes to bloom six at a time.