Friday, August 26, 2022

Take the Spinach Challenge - Filling Up without Calories - Loaded with Nutrition



When the doctor scared me into dropping ice cream as a significant factor in meals, I began to drop various fat-forming foods:

  • Bread with butter
  • Desserts in general, cookies, candy
  • Processed meat with lots of salt and fat
  • Eggs and cheese, both satisfying and fattyfying.

I lost 35 pounds but stalled below that level. I knew from daily weighs that a raw spinach day meant losing a pound a day, but I also backslid, a typical reaction to losing weight and celebrating the wrong way.

Fuhrman's positive response is to fill up on spinach and similar greens, which are super-beneficial and almost calorie free. I bought spinach boxes at Walmart and forgot to use them daily.

So I have switched to morning spinach (no blobs of dressing on top) and a huge apple for dessert. My childhood loathing of salad dressing returned and rewarded me with a simpler spinach response.

My first trial was this - I was very hungry and wanted a binge reward. I had none at home, due to poor planning. "Maybe I can get stuffed on fresh, raw spinach," I told myself. 

I got the largest bowl out and packed it with very fresh spinach. As I ate, I felt a mild euphoria and no hint of stuffiness. The spinach almost immediately extinguished my hunger, without my feeling stuffed and guilty (as in PBJs). 

Today I began with black coffee and waited to feel a bit hungry. Beans and veggies could have been rustled up fast, but that removes the spinach effect.

I got out a huge serving dish and filled it with fresh spinach, about 1/3 the box. I put a large apple on top for dessert. Both were delicious and fun to eat. The famine switch is reversed and my energy is very good.

Spinach 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits

The nutrition facts for 3.5 ounces (100 grams) of raw spinach are (1Trusted Source):

  • Calories: 23
  • Water: 91%
  • Protein: 2.9 grams
  • Carbs: 3.6 grams
  • Sugar: 0.4 grams
  • Fiber: 2.2 grams
  • Fat: 0.4 grams

Carbs

Most of the carbs in spinach consist of fiber, which is incredibly healthy.

Spinach also contains small amounts of sugar, mostly in the form of glucose and fructose (1Trusted Source).

Fiber

Spinach is high in insoluble fiber, which may boost your health in several ways (2Trusted Source).

It adds bulk to stool as food passes through your digestive system. This may help prevent constipation.

Spinach is an excellent source of many vitamins and minerals, including (3):

  • Vitamin A. Spinach is high in carotenoids, which your body can turn into vitamin A.
  • Vitamin C. This vitamin is a powerful antioxidant that promotes skin health and immune function.
  • Vitamin K1. This vitamin is essential for blood clotting. Notably, one spinach leaf contains over half of your daily needs.
  • Folic acid. Also known as folate or vitamin B9, this compound is vital for pregnant women and essential for normal cellular function and tissue growth.
  • Iron. Spinach is an excellent source of this essential mineral. Iron helps create hemoglobin, which brings oxygen to your body’s tissues.
  • Calcium. This mineral is essential for bone health and a crucial signaling molecule for your nervous system, heart, and muscles.
  • Spinach contains several important plant compounds, including (4Trusted Source5Trusted Source6Trusted Source7Trusted Source89Trusted Source10Trusted Source):

    • Lutein. This compound is linked to improved eye health.
    • Kaempferol. This antioxidant may decrease your risk of cancer and chronic diseases.
    • Nitrates. Spinach contains high amounts of nitrates, which may promote heart health.
    • Quercetin. This antioxidant may ward off infection and inflammation. Spinach is one of the richest dietary sources of quercetin.
    • Zeaxanthin. Like lutein, zeaxanthin can also improve eye health."
  • APPLES - Popular and Satisfying