Sunday, September 25, 2022

Sassy Greets the Military Gardening Group


The Military Gardening Group met today for chicken and rolls, Sassy's favorite. Ranger Bob, PFC, and I ate outdoors on the patio because the weather was perfect, balmy with almost no breeze.

The Four O'Clocks slowly open around 7:30 PM. I never grew them before, so it is fun to see them just below our feet.

Sassy went to the dry, concrete dish she uses for fresh water, then followed Ranger Bob inside to get her fresh water. 

Roses are blooming well, in spite of the second, long drought. It is sunny but not too hot, so a little extra watering is enough. We had Pope John Paul II white roses on the altar, plus a dozen Enchanted Peace. The Enchanted Peace bushes have grown 7 feet tall, festooned with perfect blooms and long stems. Those who love Double Delight will love these new relatives of Peace. I would order them in January to be sure. I enjoy fall and winter, so the rose companies can tempt me for months with new varieties and offers. I would add more Veterans Honor and there is a request for JFK roses.

 Enchanted Peace seems to be lit from the inside. I cut a large group for church and gave them to our neighbor. Ranger Bob and I are going to try lots of wood mulch for the winter.