Saturday, November 12, 2022

Fruit and Veggie Fans - Merge

 


Blueberries are famous for their use in blueberry muffins, blueberry pie, and cardio medicine. We had a retired couple in Moline called "the berry lady." I guess "the berry couple" sounded awkward. My mother sent me down to buy whatever was in season. I had to walk uphill, both ways, in the snow.

My own berry gardening was prolific. Ask any squirrel. I did well with raspberries, because they were prolific. I often noticed something moving when I coated them with sugar and cream - my mother's recipe. Some people would get freaky about this, but the movement just came from the insect bugs that love raspberries. I tried to reason with people - "They live from raspberries, so they are the final stage, raspberries in another form." That never satisfied the squeamish. 

I saw blueberry canes moving in our yard in sunny Springdale. Nothing else was moving - no wind. Then I saw the tail of a squirrel, marching away from his breakfast blueberries. 

I could buy more blueberries at Walmart than harvest them outside the kitchen door, so I gave the plants to someone who really wanted them.

Buying blueberries is easier than eating them. I found the solution - merge them with the daily vegetable dish, which I warm up on the stove from frozen, inexpensive kinds of vegetables:

  • Chickpeas for protein and fiber
  • Onions and green/red peppers 
  • Peas for protein and fiber
  • Cauliflower for brain food
  • Mixed vegetables (sometimes)
  • Tomato paste for flavor
  • Walnuts for cardio
I kept forgetting to eat blueberries, so yesterday I rolled a bunch into the daily vegetable merger. Wow! I am looking forward to that again. They were perfectly delicious. Blueberries are supposed to make veins and arteries more flexible and therefore better for circulation and heart issues. 

Physicians may laugh, but these are the results of making vegetables, fruits, and nuts the majority portion of food I eat daily -
  1. Lost 30 pounds, still coasting downward
  2. Blood sugar went from - O NO! - to normal
  3. Blood pressure became normal
  4. Vision test improved - startling the eye doctors.
I added "gym three times a week" to the daily walk with Sassy. That is handy, because the route includes all kinds of convenient stops. There is no substitute for exercise, and it does not take long for a sedimentary lifestyle to become couch-bound.