Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Solar Powered Snow Removal


We had a big snowfall by NW Arkansas standards, maybe six (6) inches, perhaps 8 inches falling with 2 inches of immediate melt. I learned long ago from my Laotian neighbors that early shoveling avoids later ice chipping. I went outside - before coffee! - and began. Half my driveway was already melted by the rising sun, in spite of cloud cover.

My solar powered corn shovel is a good blade for pushing the rest of the snow down toward the street or off to the sides. Filled with Planet Fitness pride, I decided to do my sidewalk as well, just as the Laotians did. The sidewalk had a lot of melt from the garden and was heavy like white lead. Or were my muscles turning to mush? Scholars are divided.

I would rather have snow as a blanket over the garden than strong icy winds slowly killing the tender upper part of roses.

Snow is also good for all other plants, keeping them warm (by their standards), hydrated, and nitrogen fertilized by melt. Snow has usable nitrogen and is very good for hardy or fall-planted bulbs, root strengthening, and the multiplication of microbes.