Thursday, March 23, 2023

When the Going Gets Tough, The Tough Plant Caladiums


Caladiums come in many variations of white, pink, and red. They are planted after the last frost (everyone hopes) and slowly grow up to show off their colors.

I ordered a few, which came at a good time. I look at the IBM weather report and try to get things in the ground just before a rain. That seems to have happened today. I enjoy sitting on a cardboard square the ground and digging holes for the latest project. 

The bare root roses came in when it was too cold, so I soaked them in a rain barrel and planted them before several days of rain finished my work. The new ones and last year's have sprouted leaves. 

Caladiums are not spectacular, but their leaves add color to the garden for months.

I enjoy seeing the garden from the ground floor. Many different early-birds sprout among the hardy bulbs. Tiny flowers are a magnet for bees, so I saw them working the hyacinths at a bad time. I was hovering over the flowers while they were cruising the hyacinths. However, I remain unstung over decades, except for one red hornet which zapped me lightly just for existing.

The autumn leaves are being pulled down by earthworms into the soil. Ranger Bob said, "You are the only one on this block that adds leaves to the yard." I said, "I am the only one with roses, too."

I am planning on some gladiolus, not because I am a big fan, but because they are so inexpensive. I can hardly resist the price, so I now put a few in. We are nearly in the gladiolus planting season, so I will get a few.