Monday, August 14, 2023

Liturgy Calendarists Unite Behind a Steady Trinity Count

 

Uniformity is going to win every time.

Let me start on liturgy calendars. Lutherans previously used free (insurance) desk diaries with everything marked on the dates, even allowing for differences in the synods. But lo, the Church of Rome began influencing the Lutherans and other cowards to follow their example, with pink robes, more saints days than saints, and a three-year lectionary.

If you want a definition of dumb, I would start with the three-year lectionary. Today I stumbled on Gottesdienst debating a possible alternative for a certain date. Those are clergy high on incense, opponents of the Traditional Text, and fanatical for Objective Faithless Justification.

My wife was all for the alb, because the cassock and surplice were hard to iron. Germans are practical. But that was not enough for the Smells and Belles who wanted to Roman in everything but the denomination. 

When I was first challenged on my Trinity count, I looked around for free liturgical calendar graphics. They were more mixed up than a gender quota at a university - or anywhere in ELCA. Graphic searches tend to call up calendars from every group and every year but this one. I found one at last, after finishing the bitter dregs of my cold coffee from the morning. To get on course, I need to make August 20th another Trinity 11. Braced with my knowledge of adiaphora, I will make it Trinity 11+ for next Sunday. And for Luther sermon quotes this week. 

That should stop the Liturgy Calendarists from adding more kindling to the house-warming party they are organizing.

We have had a lot of laughs (at my expense) about this.