Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Drought Turns Clay Soil into Powder

 

The fragrance stops people caught in a breeze flowing through the garden. Everyone loves the butterflies because their 100% lawn environment does not attract butterflies, bees, or birds.

We had some significant rains, but we also had hot weather. The backyard is more like powder than soil. 



I have rain from the barrels, so I used that to move some clethra, aka Summer Sweet. I call it Cinnabon for the combination of cinnamon and a sweetness that invites bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds. People also call the shrub Hummingbird.

I get the most scent in the fall when a breeze sweeps through the garden and the other flowers are no longer dominant (mints, Joe Pye, roses). This is a good time to plant or move shrubs, so I am having fun with that.

I moved three in the backyard to give them more sun and to offer our doggy daycare neighbor the beauty and fragrance of  the shrubs.

To prepare a new spot, I dig a small area (clay soil, often hard as a rock) and pour a bucket of water on it. Overnight it will soften but may need another bucket or even a deeper hole to contain moist soil.

To move the shrub I first pour plenty of water on it, often two days in a row. A narrow, heavy duty spade works well to dislodge the root system and lift the shrub by its main branch. The transplanted get extra rainwater from the barrel afterwards. My family heritage as a French peasant carrying water and digging weeds makes the chores automatical.

I could not resist even more Hummingbird shrubs in the front yard, so I have been nurturing them as well. I will move the smaller ones around because it is fun, relaxing, and encouraging for those who want to do the same.

The main Cinnabon in the front sprouted a clone  so I will try moving the small version along the backyard fence.

The front yard was almost foggy with fragrance this year, and everyone enjoyed the bees, butterflies, birds, and hummingbirds. Variety builds up the populations, and the Lord of Creation manages their unique jobs and attributes.

Hard work that we enjoy is called a hobby, and I am happy to be burdened in such a relaxing way.