Wednesday, October 4, 2023

We Had Rain All Night - Earthworms Delivered Today

 Uncle Jim's Worm Farm

Our new neighbor liked the idea of adding earthworms to their yard and garden. The box of 2,000 red wigglers arrived today, and I scattered them on top of the soil near favorite flowers. 

Faithful readers recall that I wrote about our drought yesterday. I had three Hummingbird (clethra) shrubs transplanted by yesterday afternoon.


The worms arrived in a book-sized cardboard box, the Uncle Jim's bag inside. They did not look like much until I pulled out some wads of inter-twined wigglers.

All I do is place them on the ground. They gain size quickly when they get hydrated, and that was perfect, in contrast to powdery dry dusty soil yesterday.

My favorite is earthworm manure for deluxe plants - roses, clethra, and some others. Man tends to deplete the soil foolishly - while the Creator turns abundance (rich soil) into even better soil, the worst soil into improved and productive soil.

In the spring I will purchase organic products because they provide continuous improvement to the soil, with all the creatures enjoying more food, more moisture, more aeration of the soil.

 A classic, once sold for hundreds of dollars.