Tuesday, April 9, 2024

One Reason Why We Must Know and Teach - I AM the Good Shepherd

 


There are many titles of majesty in the Bible. Norma Boeckler has illustrated 50 of them. There is only one Name of God - I AM.

KJV Exodus 3:13 

And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? 14 And God said unto Moses, I AM That I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

One member has kidded me about emphasizing this as the Name of God so often. But I would not need to do this, if pastors knew the Old Testament, learned some Greek, and opened it to John 8. 

The pivotal moment happens when Jesus revealed Himself openly as I AM, the Name of God.

KJV John 8

56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.

57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?

58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.

The opponents picked up stones to murder Him, which means they knew exactly what Jesus meant. They were speaking to God in the Flesh, the Word Incarnate and naming The Name Above All Others.

Jesus simply passed through the mob, proving that His divinity was not limited by His humanity. The Word of God is always effective, always united with the power of the Holy Spirit. Wolves do not confirm faith but brag about their non-faith. Their greatest wish is to extirpate any suggestion that we are Justified by Faith in Jesus Christ, Who gives access to His grace through believing in Him (Romans 5:1-2, try it!). If the clergy would only look long enough, they might see through their blindness and realize their hardness of heart. 

KJV 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me...

Yes, put away your Pope-blessed three-year-lectionary, which seeks to dilute and disperse any hope for a consistent Bible version, the more variety and money earned, the better. God brought the printing press into use in the West. China used the press long before that. The Reformation was spread through the printing press in many languages, and now the Gospel is being marketed, rebuked, diluted, ignored, mocked, and hidden away in their precious Apocrypha, through the printing press and Internet.