Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Back to the Basics - Vegetables and Fruit versus Prescriptions

 

My first birthday included a cake.


By the age of 4 I was helping the family business.

I am not against prescriptions, but nutrition studies - and my experience - have convinced me that people are being hornswaggled by the gubmint, the pharmaceutical giants, and the physicians. Those three entities inflate the cost and the use of prescriptions.

The fats-sugars-salt diet leads to diabetes and heart disease (which includes blood pressure, poor circulation, and stroke). 

People can eliminate or diminish a lot of symptoms by removing the expensive foods with little value, replacing them with greens, beans, fruits, and vegetables. Assuming that my highest weight was 225 pounds, the gradual weight loss has gone down 46 pounds. 

All the blood test results have improved with the loss of junk food (aka fastfoods, desserts, candy, and frozen dinners). The previous two doctors were shocked at the results - neither one had heard the name of Joel Fuhrman M.D. I will give How Not To Die by Michael Greger M.D. at my next appointment. Greger has also written How Not To Diet.

If I were a real doctor, I would have everyone gradually lessen the favorite foods that have almost no nutrition but lots of remedies from our Creator. 

The trademark diet plans are a joke. But worse - The self-denying promise to stop given addictive foods all at once is bound to build up a tremendous craving for that faux-sacrifice, which ends in a gain. Do not ask me how I know.

Here is one effective medicine that is inexpensive, fresh, juicy, delicious, sweet, and loaded with nutrition - the apple. Not apple pie (with ice cream or whipped cream) or apple juice (pure sugar) or apple turnovers, or apple tarts. Add fresh pineapples to that load of quality apples. It is better than dessert - and I am an expert - just in the way those and other fruits satisfy everyone's appetite.

Instead of supper, I eat two big apples with a handful of walnuts. I may have two more apples (4, yes! 4) for the day, but also other fruits.

Furhman and my parents said the same thing - eat good foods and get used to them. We went for donuts, cookies, apple pie with whipped cream, and candy on the side. 

I gave a dear relative a monthly supply of various fruits. I tried that for six months and gave them 12 months. The idea was to have delicious, exotic fruits start a new hobby - and it worked for both households. 

My daily lunch meal is shared with Charlie Sue. It includes a lot of blueberries, walnuts, spinach and kale, tomato paste, peas, broccoli, onions and peppers, and chick-peas. We share a smoked sausage. Breakfast and supper are for various fruits.

My vegetable consultant encouraged me to get a collection of large containers of spices, and I add samples to the Creation Super Stew described above. I especially like cumin, allspice, curry, cardamom, turmeric (a ginger), and mustard. I keep trying out stew variations (including sausage).

Ironically, I have been watching streaming videos about the great giants in food in America. Enormous fortunes have been made with soft ice cream, pizza, popsicles, hamburgers, hotdogs, fried chicken, and corn flakes. Most of the brand names come from the originator.

Health Benefits of Apples.

Health Benefits of Fresh Pineapples.