Sunday, July 29, 2012

Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me - Favorite Hymn of a Member.
Andy Griffith





Jesus, Savior, pilot me
Over life’s tempestuous sea;
Unknown waves before me roll,
Hiding rock and treacherous shoal.
Chart and compass come from Thee;
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

While th’Apostles’ fragile bark
Struggled with the billows dark,
On the stormy Galilee,
Thou didst walk upon the sea;
And when they beheld Thy form,
Safe they glided through the storm.

Though the sea be smooth and bright,
Sparkling with the stars of night,
And my ship’s path be ablaze
With the light of halcyon days,
Still I know my need of Thee;
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

When the darkling heavens frown,
And the wrathful winds come down,
And the fierce waves, tossed on high,
Lash themselves against the sky,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me,
Over life’s tempestuous sea.

As a mother stills her child,
Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
Boisterous waves obey Thy will,
When Thou sayest to them, “Be still!”
Wondrous Sovereign of the sea,
Jesus, Savior, pilot me.

When at last I near the shore,
And the fearful breakers roar
’Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
Then, while leaning on Thy breast,
May I hear Thee say to me,
“Fear not, I will pilot thee.”

---


churchmousec (http://churchmousec.wordpress.com/) has left a new comment on your post "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me - Favorite Hymn of a Membe...": 

An interesting choice of hymn for our dearly departed 'Sheriff Andy'. (Those reruns are a lifeline for many, especially people who have grown up in unstable homes. As a nostalgic viewer, I still enjoy the show 50 years on, so, no disrespect intended.)

One wonders whether the Moravians whom John Wesley encountered were singing it on the ship when they encountered the storm which caused him to become an Arminian ...

Churchmouse

***

Gregory L. Jackson has left a new comment on your post "Jesus, Savior, Pilot Me - Favorite Hymn of a Membe...":
Ken Berry, who starred in the spin-off, Mayberry RFD, said the imaginary TV town was just like the real town he grew up in - Moline, my hometown.

Ken visited our high school when I was a senior.

---


And that makes you *extra* special, doesn't it, Greg? It amazes me how you criticize Ski and Glende for having their pictures taken with celebrities while you brag about all the celebrities you have met in your life.

***

GJ - I thought this post was about a church member's favorite hymn. A FB friend found a non-Mormon rendition, which I appreciated. Griffith just died, so that reminded me of Ken Berry and his Moline Memories. Moline was just as nice as Berry says, quite a contrast with WELS.

I appreciate Lillo's constant efforts to remind people how nasty and self-centered the Church and Changers are. Perhaps the Groeschel transformation, to be accomplished by stealing his sermons, passing them off as original, is not effective.

In contrast, Churchmouse sent a pleasant and cheerful message.