Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mark Schroeder on the Bible Translation

"NNIV - prepare to die!"


Brothers and sisters in Christ,
Our synod has been engaged in study and discussions about Bible translations for more than two years. Several times the decision was delayed to provide more time to study this important issue and to work toward a broad consensus about a final choice. The matter will be considered at the synod convention in July.
Both committees evaluating the translation issue have submitted their reports to the convention. They are printed the Book of Reports and Memorials on pages 69 (Translation Evaluation Committee) and 79 (Translation Feasibility Committee). You can access these reports online.
I have been asked many times to share my position on these issues. I have not written or spoken extensively on the subject, preferring to allow the appointed committees to carry out their work as the synod asked them to do. But now that the committees have submitted their reports, I feel it’s only right that the members of the synod know where their synod president stands.
I have summarized my views in a document titled, “Thoughts on the Translation Issue.” You can access it online.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about it.
May God bless us and lead us to a wise decision, and may he give us continued unity in his Word.
In Christ,
Mark Schroeder
WELS President
***
"Don't be afraid. It's only a small Midwesetern sect."

GJ - Be sure to write a letter. That really moves things along. I was just going to post on why leaders no longer lead today. They just get behind the process. They believe in the process. The process is infallible so the final decision will be God-pleasing.
Perhaps the new office building should be named The Waffle House.
I chuckled over the Wendland-Schroeder concord that there should be an excess of charity. I still remember Wendland looking offended that anyone disagreed with his precious NNIV. "Do you know who I am? Do you know my family tree?"
When people are upgraded for their DNA instead of their faithfulness to the Word, Wendland and Jeske are the results.
The entire process has been a magic game from the beginning. Would you like lead, mercury, or arsenic in your diet? Each one has strengths and weaknesses. 
The convention should be a good show.