Tuesday, January 30, 2018

One of Our Readers Wants the Whole Set of Luther

 John N. Lenker is the original editor of The Sermons of Martin Luther.
Like the author of The Robe*, he graduated from Hamma Divinity, now merged into Trinity ELCA Divinity School.

*Douglas became a Congregationalist minister.

R. C. H. Lenski was one of the translators. He taught at Capital Seminary, which merged with Hamma to become Trinity Seminary, ELCA.

From Another Reader

Hi Pastor Gregory,

The 1st volume of Luther's Sermons arrived yesterday, and I gotta say, I'm impressed! So much so that I would like to go ahead and order the remaining volumes so as to have the complete set - not to line my bookshelf because they look so neat, but to read and reread until they fall apart. 

After my  KJV Bible and Tappert Concordia I intend to also incorporate these works as my daily meat 'n taters. Please let me know what the charge would be for the remainder of the set and I'll mail you the check.

I do really like my Spener (?) set, along with my Galatians and John 14-16 Commentaries, so no doubt these volumes will yield much additional manna to edify and treasure!

Yours, in Christ 

***

GJ - As far as I am concerned, one letter like this is sufficient for me to say, "All the work was worth it - and I enjoyed it just as much as people do in reading the sermons."

Today is ordering day, when I catch up with the direct order demand. I have to balance tent-making (Acts 18:1-4, online teaching) with Luther editing, blog posting, and order filling.

As I wrote before, it is possible to buy three of the volumes for $270 total on the used market - those are the House Postils. For those who graduated from New Ulm, that is $90 each for black and white volumes in condensed print.

No, we are not doing the House Postils.This project started to provide Luther's Sermons at a base price (author's price) of around $5 each, plus shipping and taxes. I gave away my hard-cover sets because I can no longer read the condensed print for any length. Several have noticed already how readable these new ones are.

God willing the entire Luther's Sermons will be finished by Easter. (Critics say - Easter of what year?) More projects will follow.


 See the three blue volumes - the House Postils.
They were on sale for $270, used.