Monday, June 22, 2020

Rain Is on the Way to Springdale

 Easy To Please Roses - adding more purple to the section of roses.
"Easy To Please™

"We were wondering how we could improve the award-winning Easy-To-Love® collection – the best true rose collection containing fully petaled varieties with very good disease resistance. Well, it's quite simple! We've added a missing color to the collection with the pink flowering variety Easy To Please. Just like its name, this floribunda will please everyone! Want more bang for your bloom? With Easy To Please, not only are you getting a high performing rose in multiple climates, but you are also getting a multitude of classic spiraled flowers on a bush for which the disease resistance surpasses many landscape Shrubs. What else are we missing to make this rose a crowd pleaser? Nothing, as a moderate clove fragrance completes this SUPER flowerful, upright and vigorous plant to near perfection!"

Many of the roses bought were grown at Weeks, a big wholesaler for roses. The rainbow selections I get often have the Weeks tags on them. I get great roses at a big discount, plus an introduction to a new variety that may be spectacular.

Between today and tomorrow, we should have plenty of rain. I have bare root roses sitting in rainwater buckets. They could stay that way for a long time, but that also means keeping the water level even and not letting the roots get established.

Be back soon...

And I am back.

I found two places in the backyard garden for Heirloom (purple) and Julia Childs (yellow).

Another good place was hard as a rock - clay soil, dry. Rain would be coming along, so I decided to let the last three roses soak in rainwater.

Sassy had an overnight with Ranger Bob and she was due to come home. I walked down to fetch her, and she began telling me off. I sat down on the floor at Bob's and said to her, "You need your tummy rub!" She enjoyed that so much, even though Bob doted on her. Yesterday, his friend's wife guessed the same = and I watched Sassy's delighted face as she massaged the dog and talked to her.

When we got home (two houses away), Sassy took her spot on the bed and I went back to the roses and patio. I doubled the patio size by shoveling the mulch off and putting in metal sides to keep soil and debris away from the door and kitchen floor. Sunflower seed leftovers are very prone to come inside on five feet (my two and Sassy's three).

Here are the steps in bare root rose planting:

  1. I soak them in rainwater or stored water, letting the branches stay out of the water (most of the time. The soaking roses can get sunshine and grow green leaves this way. 
  2. I plant on the east side of the house, which prevents afternoon baking. The west side is good when the roses get sun but not too much. North is generally too shady and south is too sunny.
  3. I prune the branches somewhat and the roots a little. I take off anything discolored on the branches. That can happen after planting, so I clip that too. ROSES LOVE PRUNING.
  4. I often fill the hole with upside-down sod, a treasure chest of bugs, minerals, fungus, and organic matter. 
  5. I used a $1.88 bag of Peat Humus as the top layer, which the soil creatures will pull down for the rose and themselves. That is a ruinous cost, almost a dollar a rose!
  6. I used about 1/3 of a bag of shredded Cyprus wood as mulch on top of each rose, allowing sun for the branches. 
  7. I had barrels of rainwater, so I watered the two rose locations liberally.

Julia Child Rose - was I looking for this? No. It came in rainbow selection, free shipping.

"Just before our wonderful American icon left us, she selected this exceptional rose to bear her name. Julia loved the even butter gold color & the licorice candy fragrance. Yet it wasn't just the old-fashioned blooms that inspired the recipe. The perfectly rounded habit, super glossy leaves & great disease resistance finish off the dish. An awesome AARS award winner—a right & proper honor for a dear friend. Consistent, hardy & floriferous in all climates. Very disease resistant. Available budded & own-root."