Sunday, June 21, 2020

It's Not Father's Day without a John Deere Tractor

This is the way I would look if I had my own John Deere tractor.

The Bee Balm is blooming now, and the bees are balmy with all the pollen they gather. The Shasta Daisies changed from little weaklings into large blooming clumps, with aphid-killing flies on them.

Next to bloom will be the Joe Pye Weeds and the two Clethra shrubs (aka Summer Sweet, Sugar Spice), both superb at attracting pollinators and butterflies.

We definitely have a vertical garden, with a lot of roses, Joe Pye, Bee Balm, and tall plants - more in the 5 foot plus category.

So I decided to pursue that and make the central part of the garden all Daffodils for the early spring and tall plants - like Clethra -  afterwards.

I can protect plants with collars and weed-whack the grassy weeds.

Sadly (!) I will have roses in the back. I have found that having the plants close is more fun than tripping through a garden to reach distant, neglected plants.

 Julia Childs Rose looks like a winner. This one is soaking in rainwater, hoping to be planted before it rains again.