Monday, September 21, 2020

Rose Garden Revised for Upcoming Rain

Double Delight Rose


Since the storm could have rolled in early, I began the work as soon as Sassy had her morning walk. 

Most roses are similar at this stage. They have mulch but pesky grass and maple trees growing up into the rose area. That grass will choke a rose when left to its evil devices.

I really enjoy the exercise and the results from a little work. I have an H shaped bench which lets me sit near the rose but not on the ground. I use extra long scissors to snip at away at the grass and trees trying to take over, using the sun and extra water for dominance.

I carry sharp rose shears to prune dead wood and trim extra branches away. This is something that newcomers shy away from doing. But if I have two buds, one of them weak, the strong one will finish better by having the tiny one removed. The same is true of spent roses, which signal more growth in the branches and roots when trimmed away. 

My experiment with egg carton material was not too impressive (lots of buckling) so I used paper and cardboard on the bottom or perimeter when areas needed to be shaded more. I pour cypress mulch generously around the bush and create an area where very little can grow. 

The worst patch of orchard grass was not weed-whacked, so I used electric clippers to mow that patch down (for instant fertilizer and revenge). I added thick cardboard where it was growing, some paper to fill in, and a bag of wood mulch around it.

Every rose needed some attention, and I also saw some hopeless cases nearby. The roses gone wild will be dug up before winter to make room for more daffodils. The crew's eyes bulged when they learned how many bulbs would arrive. I am sharing with the crew and Ranger Bob. Once in the ground, the bulbs will bloom early each spring, grow somewhat, and rebloom. 

Giant Aliums have a giant price. I buy smaller ones.

I only wanted to order daffodils but I saw some purple tulips and rainbow iris, much earlier. To round off two orders, I also got two giant aliums. These floral garlics are easy to grow and everyone likes them. "What exactly are they?"

When I was done the garden had lost its Wuhan Flu overgrown hair look, and I am sure several roses perked up - simply from the pruning. 

The Easy Does It orange roses look tired now, but I will give them new cardboard and a pile of mulch and peat humus to digest over the fall and winter.