Tuesday, May 25, 2021

I Heard the Robin Call My Name

 

Norma A. Boeckler's Robin

Most of the bird feed goes on top of the garbage and recycle barrels, so birds are anxious when one barrel stays overnight on the sidewalk, and even more nervous when both "feeders" are waiting to be emptied.

Last week I had one barrel, so I was dragging it back under Sassy's supervision. When we approached the gate to the backyard, a robin dropped down on it and make some pleasant noise, as if to remind me of my feeding duty. She flew up and landed again to emphasize the message.

I found the same thing happening long ago in New Ulm. I fed the birds near the front door. If I came out the front door at any time, the robin would perch out on the end of a limb and sing to me. Given the growth of tiny birds, the soliciting was understandable and always welcome.



Blue jays called to me when I walked around our neighborhood in Midland. Maybe it was same one, or perhaps his kin. Their happy sound is bell-like, and they rang out with that when I walked to the church. Blue jays built a nest at window level in Bella Vista, so everyone got on the little step-ladder to look down on the nestlings. I delivered sunflower seeds daily to the parents, who never attacked me. They watched me dump seeds at the base of the tree - where they were watching.

 Blue bird - by Norma A. Boeckler