Friday, November 5, 2021

Creation Roses - The Gamble

 



Neighbors said, "You are planting roses now?" and "Will they freeze?"

Left unsaid, "Are you crazy?" These are not hybrid tea roses, which are grafted and more easily killed by cold weather. They are Freedom roses from Springhill, my favorite provider, and they only cost $10 each with no shipping fee.



It is the gambling with a purpose fever within me. I like to see how plants turn out, and roses have been a great thrill for many - Queen Elizabeth (the best pink), Veterans Honor (best red, best cut flower), Easy Does It (50 sunset colored and varied blooms at once, becoming long-stemmed besides), Falling in Love (bi-color, fragrant, very thorny).

Each plant wonder is a gamble. Some I never see mature. Others fool me and pop up later with great strength.

I may see Yarrow and Comfrey in my dreams next year. Both are poised to take over swaths of land unless I intervene.