Sunday, February 27, 2022

Fun with Frozen Food for Wildlife

 

 A squirrel on a garbage barrel will try to knock down birds with his paws, like King Kong, but the birds are too many.










 The kind of corn is priced so high, the farmers can buy new John Deere tractors.

Needless to say, the grocery stores love to sell over-priced bird and squirrel food. The prices are often outrageous and the quality is usually low. I try to keep it economical but found another source in the store - frozen food.

In my quest for health food I have spent more time with frozen foods (not prepared) and canned goods (soup as a base for vegetarian lunches, beans and more beans).

I look for frozen mushrooms and the green pepper onion mix. Then I spotted frozen blueberries in a package for $2. Later I bought a frozen package of blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries - three kinds I can eat but not digest. 

Both berry packages won rave reviews with squirrels and birds. The favored birds - like cardinals and bluejays - are also berry eaters. However, every creature gets some. Animals are much more sharing than humans.

My greatest fun was cutting older oranges up and placing them where the orange glow would attract critters. Baltimore Oriole? I doubt that.

Later I saw a creature at the far end of the backyard. Orange flashed. What could it be? My new-improved eyes could make out a large squirrel with a half-orange in his mouth. He stopped high up on a tree, not on branches but the trunk. He ate the fruit furiously, to make sure no one else got it. I added a few more today, and I am sure they will become part of many diets.


 I eat blueberries too, for lower blood pressure.
I used to give the extras to the critters - and I still do - but I appreciate this delightful medicine with no side effects except blue fingertips.