Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Grackle Time - Or - Enjoying a Good Ice Storm

Grackles are large, loud, and creaky sounding. Like starlings and crows, they arrive and leave in large numbers.

I do not wish an ice storm on anyone. Tree limbs break. Furnaces quit. Traffic comes to a halt and accidents increase. I am sure weather has dulled my brain. Two people notified me of outrageous typos, which is fine, when they do it in a caring, compassionate, diplomatic, and gentle way.

I used my windshield broom/scraper tool to brush the barrel lids down to their natural green and yellow colors. Then I poured corn and peanuts in a pile on each barrel, a handful flung across the place where the birds forage for seed on the ground.

Soon after, the food was covered up with a layer of snow and ice, so I figured nothing would happen. Just now I found a large flock of grackles (larger than starlings, cousins to the crows) working both barrels at once with even more birds on the ground. I spotted one female cardinal and some other birds on the perimeter, hoping or hopping for some food.

Squirrels were here and there, kept at a distance by the size and noise of the grackles.