Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Neighborly Competition in Gardening

We had our own gourmet cook when we went to Moline.
Our motel was next door to his bistro.


When I first began pruning the maple tree, my neighbors laughed as they pointed at me. They were saying to each other, "Now we have to keep up."

Our trees were drooping with low branches and nothing had been done in landscaping. Luther only wanted to garden in retirement. He was called back to preach and gave us his tremendous Sermons on John's Gospel. Seminaries of all persuasions should drop their silly courses and use that - or the Lenker set - to replace their curricula.

When I asked my neighbor for more newspapers, he asked, "More roses?" I said, "Not yet." This is for the vegetable and corn patches in the backyard.

All I have to do is a new project and my neighbors are outside adding to theirs. It is great fun. We do little favors, back and forth, and talk about the way things should be. He warned me about rototilling into the utilities, even when flagged, and that convinced me to mulch on top of the lawn.

At dawn I went outside and looked at all the plants growing, front and back yard. Then I sat down at our front porch eyrie to look over the roses - with raindrops still clinging to them, .Now I have people imagining an old porch six feet above the lawn. This is about three inches above. Did you want me to say - "from the sparrow's nest..."?

The living Seed and the engrafted Word
Seed is the perfect metaphor for God's Word. Since God created all things through Christ, Who is the Creating Word, that is no coincidence.

Seed is alive, just as the Word is alive with the Holy Spirit. Seed can be stored a long time and still germinate from moisture. Inside many seeds is a tiny starter plant and food to get it going. When put in moist soil, the seed knows exactly how to send out tiny roots for stability, food, and water, leaves for photosynthesis.

--

Mark 4:2ff. And he taught them many things by parables, and said unto them in his doctrine, Hearken; Behold, there went out a sower to sow: And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the fowls of the air came and devoured it up.