Saturday, February 9, 2019

Thank You - From Ranger Bob

This is Mike making his girlfriend laugh. They all loved him at the workshop. His longtime Mormon neighbor came and participated with the others in the Lord's Prayer. I conducted the funeral.

A number of you readers contributed a generous amount toward Mikes's funeral. He is the brother of Army Ranger Bob, our dear friend, and Sassy's buddy. Thank you for your generosity. This was the third family funeral (mother and step-father) for this household in a few years. Bob is thankful to you. He had immediate burial expenses for the 450 mile round trip, and our congregation took care of that.

At the funeral, we had a large troop of adults from the shelter where Mike worked for years. He was developmentally disabled and always cared about others first.

He asked me for an illustrated Bible. When I asked him about faith in Jesus, he brightened and said, "Yes." I prayed with him in the ICU before he died. He was an extra son for my wife, and they loved having long conversations.

Mike also worked on yard projects with me. He would quietly delivered a dozen packed leaf bags where I asked for them, making us both happy.

His family worked with him to help him achieve what he could, and his cared for his dying mother and step-father only a few years ago. I wish everyone would consider that we should care for the same parents - who put up with our puking and befouling the house - when they grow, infirm, and need our care.

 Mike was special, hard to categorize, very strong physically, with many great flashes of humor and understanding. I wish we had more in Congress like him.