Friday, November 12, 2021

Energy Is Paradoxical -- Good Nutrition Works Surprisingly Well

I was born with a Dairy Queen cone in my mouth - instead of a silver spoon.



Being held captive in a donut shop was not exactly torture. I made the most of it and ate my mistakes.

My father spent his working life testing the products in his bakery and became insulin sensitive, prone to high blood sugars. I could see that happening with the famous A1C tests for me, a 90 day test that betrays the individual who likes carbohydrates.

So here are the changes I made in eating.

Sassy and I have eggs and toast for breakfast each day. The combo is loaded with protein and nutrition and quells the appetite that bread and sweet rolls promote. 

Daily fresh fruit is now a necessity. Oranges are the top pick. The end of the day snack is no longer bakery-centered but fresh fruit and walnuts. The walnuts are for heart health and other benefits. They are very satisfying and worth the cost. 

Ice cream is off the menu entirely and desserts are rare and small. No more diet sodas at home, period. The paradox is that sugar and caffeine provide instant energy, but they also demand replenishment for more energy until the sluggishness is alarming and A1C triggered.

Lunch is light, and supper is often chicken plus a Southern biscuit. Cheese and toast is one option. 

I like Schwan packaged dinners, but like fast food items, they are high in salt. I am just ordering frozen chicken and vegetables from them, now. And we like biscuits ready to bake.

I returned to the gym, which is handy on my rounds with Sassy. We go to the credit union, Lowe's hardware, the business store, the gym, and the post office in one grand sweep, depending on needs. Sassy loves snuggling between the front seats and getting pets at red lights. She barks and demands her dog treats at the credit union drive through, often drowning out my attempts to do some banking.

The results are good. I have a lot more energy, more strength. I have lost 64 ounces so far. I am tracking in ounces to stay motivated. Four pounds sounds like nothing, but 64 ounces! So quickly! "How did you do that, Greg?" Simple - conversion from pounds to ounces.

 This was posed in an apple orchard for the annual donut calendar. Was I eating fruit? No, I was enjoying my favorite bread donut and a Classics Illustrated comic.

I still love coffee. Costa Rican pour-over is magical, great flavor and mellow at the same time. No sugar or cream, though I fondly remember Seattle coffee with heavy whipped cream inches deep. 

Sassy and I have a little fast food, but not much. Cravings for diet cola and desserts - they are gone almost gone. Whatever I want at the moment - I cut the amounts. Fast eating is a way to be hungry from the start to finish - to be repented later. 

"Little boys eat big bites. Big boys take small bites." Why was my mother right about so many things? The truth is, when we eat less, the food is far more enjoyable and satisfying.

Later I will point out some nutrition facts. Many common foods are loaded with special, key nutrition factors.