Monday, February 14, 2022

Mystery Box in My Recycle Barrel - Tells a Tale

 


Our recycle pickup was delayed by our ferocious snowstorm that lasted a day or two. Most of us left our barrels along the curb, just to be sure. 

I saw the lid of my barrel propped up by some object within. I had to check it out, so I walked over for a look. It was a brand new, empty box for 32 Twinkies and Ding-Dongs.

Our neighbor does baby-sitting for their extended family, so I wondered if they were buying treats in bulk.

Does anything describe our waste of money on cheap desserts better than this? I know - who am I to throw Berliners at Hostess!

My parents had a very low opinion of mass desserts, McDonalds, and similar foods never found on a Depression era farm table. They insisted we taste the exotic vegetables before deriding and refusing them.

The box reminded me craving good food now and looking forward to variations. Yesterday I added mushrooms, flax seed, almonds, onions, green peppers, and peas to a can of soup. I only ate half of the sauce pan full, so I ate the other half today. At breakfast I thought, "That deluxe soup will be great - and it was." I took off 16 pounds so far and registered 135/65 blood pressure today.

Sassy needed Pupperoni today so we went to WM for that and some vegetable enhancements. Tomato paste is packed with nutrition? Who knew? (I did not - and it is inexpensive too.) 

I am working through bean variations because they are the compliment to stacks of leafy greens. Beanie weenies may not please Fuhrman, but I have always liked the combo.

We are inundated with supplements to make us better, and doubtless many have value. However, I wonder if people consider the vast amount, numbers, and complexities of the plants ignored in favor of...Twinkies.