Monday, March 27, 2023

Sharing the Desserts Rather Than the Desert

 


My mother untangled the dessert-desert problem with ease. She told her classes, "You eat two desserts if you can get away with it - ss, but with a desert, one s is enough."

Last night I cut three thick slices of pineapple, which I trimmed by cutting off the outer rind alone. I eat the fibrous parts. The scraps were piled on the recycle barrel, including the bottom slice, which is mostly rind. If I kept the leftovers inside, the tiny ants would be swarming, as they did when an apple core fell on the floor. I picked up the apple core, thinking it discolored fast. It was covered by thousands and thousands of ants!

I save fruit remnants for the birds, squirrels, and Possum Pete. I cut up a few leftover tangerines which had grown old and wrinkled in the fridge. I tossed them on the ground for Pete and his squirrel friends. The next day I saw a bunch of neatly cleaned out skins.