Monday, November 16, 2009

Darth Wieder






darthjedi (http://darthjedi.wordpress.com/) has left a new comment on your post "Anonymous ELCA Pastor Whistles Past the Graveyard,...":

Thank you for removing my entire blog post from your site. I really appreciate (sic - transitive verbs without objects?). Thank you also for bringing more traffic to my site.

I make typos as well. Thank you for pointing out some of the typos that I made. Why you had to be snide about it with your comment about my "grasp of English," I am not sure, but whatever makes you feel better about yourself.

I asked you to remove my full name and church from the comments (not commanded as you suggested) for privacy purposes. I asked you as a fellow Christian to respect my privacy not to make an issue out of it.

I think the pictures are cute and made me laugh. I especially liked the the last one.

I will make one final comment on your blog post, actually it is on the title. If I am whistling "past the graveyard, literally," it would mean that 1. I am whistling 2. I just moved past a graveyard. Since I am doing neither, I am not doing it "literally." I guess I am not the only one with a problem with using the English language. :-)

***

GJ - I need to explain to Mequon graduates that Darth Wieder is a pun, because ELCA's Darth is posting again (Wieder - German for again, pronounced Veeder - see, it gets funnier).

Privacy and blogs create an odd juxtaposition, especially when the blog author gives away his own name on the first page. That reminds me of the congregations that post information for the world to see and complain if it is reposted...for the world to see.

Whistling past the graveyard is the expression modified by literally. The adverb means that ELCA is a literal graveyard, full of dead bodies. Without the adverb I would have suggested that the author was trying to keep himself from being afraid. Instead, I wanted to say that ELCA is a cemetery.



KJV Matthew 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness. 28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity. 29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous.

If someone is going to call a witty post "snide," then he should resist the temptation of sending an ill-conceived snide comment that misfires.