Thursday, July 19, 2012

Recirculating the Lutheran Books

I have preserved over 3,000 quotations on Megatron, the legendary database,
but Ski and Glende have preserved the sermons and doctrine of Stanley and Groeschel.
Each according to his gifts.


Yesterday seemed good for hauling books to the post office. The temperature was over 100 when I carried them in.

It was great fun. One family is getting a Lutheran library, since I have Luther on the computer. I have many books that are valuable for the people who appreciate Lutheran doctrine, so I was able to share them. When I was done with the biggest box, for this family, I still had about five more books for a later shipment.

Many good Lutheran works are available for very little through Amazon and Alibris. I keep getting them here and there, including my own books. I just got a Schmid for reading in the car (not while driving). More on that later.

I developed a good collection on Walther and that history, so one researcher has those books.

One layman has copies of the English-only Triglotta coming to him.

There are books that only a few would appreciate and use. They went to another person, whose name I forgot.

I used to take empty boxes to the Trinity Seminary library sale in Columbus. I collected the best books before the apostates filed out of chapel. Later I was restricted to last in line, but I still got the best books. Who wants German Lutheran books? Not those yahoos. Mequon students were startled that I read German. My response was, "You don't? So how do you study theology?" The librarian at the time said, "My point exactly."

Everyone in WELS knew I had free books for the price of postage. Some visited the basement of the parsonage and picked out whatever they wanted. I received boxes of books from various donors and gave away about 30 boxes of books, including entire collections on certain topics: gardening, poetry, etc.

A library should circulate rather than be a mausoleum. As I told Patsy Leppien (What's Going On Among the Lutherans?) - "Writers read all the time, and readers end up writing." Patsy read all the time about how Lutherans fell apart. She wrote her book while I was writing Liberalism, Its Cause and Cure.

Opponents of sound doctrine make the study of theology fascinating. We should appreciate them, thank them, and pelt them with dog manure as we drive them out of town - following the Book of Concord, Luther at his best.

When picking up sermons for their homiletics class....