Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Bringing Joy, Good Will, And Worthwhile Acts into Each Day

Porchie and Dustmop entertain Charlie, who even waits in a drizzle to play with them.
Racing along the fence is great fun for everyone.


Someone asked about ways to be cheerful in the light of so many disasters around us. I could name them, but they are widely known and generated on purpose. For instance, I have experienced companies deliberately cheating on a bill. One company overcharged me by 50%, and I had their own email proving how far off they were. The first response was the muddled lying used by companies now, if not their AI robot, then a humanoid with an even lower IQ. I twice told one company that "No, I do not want to renew...ever." They billed me $900!  At the same time, a computer company billed me $250. I settled all three falsehoods simply by talking about "legal responsibility" and "fraud." 

If they are building up fury in the costumer, I know it is a confidence scam - knowingly cheating so the customer will slam down the phone and give up. In case anyone wonders, the best way is to cheerfully and politely suggest the doom developing for the crooks. They want a tantrum with empty threats. I may say, "I have already talked to my attorney," but I would rather stir their imagination. The credit union sued me for $200 that was already paid, using a lengthy, attorney letter with various threats. I stated the facts on their voicemail, mentioned my attorney, and got two apologies, the second one especially gracious and apologetic.

We have to stand up for ourselves with dishonest people in the short run. In the long run they have to face God Himself for their chicanery.

Worthwhile Acts

I post on this blog every day, starting with the Daily Luther Sermon Quote. I am happy to hear all the responses and I enjoy each one myself. 

I was going to slow down on blogging but one reader said that many were counting on it for information. I never expected more than 20 readers per day, and now there is a larger group. Our congregation has grown rather than shrinking, so I know we are doing something wrong!

This is not a gardening neighborhood, so I share the excesses. I used to take roses to all the doctor appointments but now I take them to neighbors and Bible John's wife. Mother's Day is for every mother getting roses. Christina said, "Grass is boring. Make the front yard a rose garden." I have had people stop their cars and ask about it. I give Creation Gardening to people.

This is the happy corner, which now has the ID of Christina for her first day at Augustana College, the day we met. I told my brother I was going to ask for a date and maybe marry her. She said "Maybe?" when I told Moline friends, 40 years later. One Moliner (same dorm) told everyone that Christina could not stop saying my name over and over. She said, "I don't remember that!" We all laughed that much more.


Norma A. Boeckler's garden.