Saturday, August 6, 2016

Coreopsis Jungle at Almost Eden. "Be Still and Know That I AM God."

This Coreopsis meadow photo was taken by someone else.
I am going to take my camera on the next walk to Almost Eden.

Yesterday, Sassy and I took our evening walk toward Almost Eden. The rain clouds were threatening and a cool breeze was making the walk easy. We usually see the Almost Eden Nursery owner with his dog, Opie, in the mornings.

We came upon Almost Eden's Coreopsis garden in full bloom. The area is at least 12 feet long and 4 feet wide.



Coreopsis species coreopsis, tickseed, calliopsis FAMILY Asteraceae (aster) 
• perennial, USDA zones 3–8; some species variation • North American natives • blooms midsummer to fall • 1–6 feet (0.3–1.8 m) high, 1–3 feet (0.3–1 m) wide Called tickseed for their buggy-looking seeds, these North American natives may already have a home in your garden. Several dozen species of coreopsis exist, and quite a few of them are common garden perennials. They have become so popular because of their ease of growth, long flowering period, drought tolerance, deer resistance, and all-around good looks. Nearly all coreopsis are attractive to good bugs of all sorts, including minute pirate bugs, parasitic wasps, soldier beetles, syrphid flies, lacewings, and spiders. I’d like to share with you a handful of my favorite species.


Walliser, Jessica. Attracting Beneficial Bugs to Your Garden: A Natural Approach to Pest Control (Kindle Locations 2067-2079). Timber Press. Kindle Edition. 

Sassy's interest's were at nose level. She loves the ability to pursue olfactory research around the berm and gardens. I walked up eye level to the tall plants and began looking through the forest of blooms for beneficial insects. Everywhere I looked, various types of bees were working the flowers. Tachinid flies were looking for pollen. Some tiny creatures darted around the stems.

I doubt whether any movie or animation could match the calm, industrious parade of creatures enjoying the yellow and orange flowers. Soon enough the flowers will turn into tickseed, and birds would harvest and spread them. Everyone writes about the superstar sunflower seeds, but Sharon Lovejoy points out that all the flowers produce seed that the birds love to harvest in the late summer.
Rosehips (rose seed pods) are harvested by birds before they become Rosehip Tea or Vitamin C tablets.



Psalm 46:10King James Version (KJV)

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

One of the most calming and inspiring sights is a garden full of flowers and free of toxins, on a still and sunny day, gathering the insects with nectar, pollen, and fruits.
Instead of visiting famous gardens, which we appreciate, we tour our own ever-changing parade of plants and creatures. Rain-barrels have trapped four squirrels, who either fall in or climb in for water (which is everywhere else in the back and front yard). I came in and took off my Tilley hat, placing it over my chest, out of respect.
"What's wrong?"
I said, "We lost Chestnut."
Mrs. Ichabod asked, "How many squirrels have died now?"
I said, "Four:
  1. Filbert
  2. Walnut
  3. Peanut, and now...
  4. Chestnut."
One would never know that I buried four squirrels. There is a enviable supply of rabbits and squirrels in the yard, matching the abundance of food, shelter, and fresh water. To make sure Sassy and others have fresh, clean water, I leave a garbage can lid, upside-down, near the outside faucet. When I water, the spray from the leaky connections fills and cleans the shallow containers nearby. Shallow clay dishes are there to hydrate toads and other small creatures
My plants are nowhere near this size -
Chaste Tree is another beneficial insect host.

Rain was threatening this morning, after our walk, so I began to empty the rain-barrels. I was pleased to find the transplanted Chaste Tree (a small bush at the moment) was leafed out. The Chaste Tree needed more sun and less water. Checking the Net, I saw the plant also enjoys pruning and does well when pruned. I cut all the drooping branches back and all are greened up. I could smell its medicinal aroma from a few feet away.

The roses got most of the rainwater - liquid, gentle fertilizer - and Hostas got the rest. Several are in bloom already, and I wanted them doing well for the hummingbirds.

Rosehips are fruits full of seed.