Monday, October 4, 2021

 

Tofu buildings fall apart a few years after construction, but I think people are being far too critical. We have Lutheran synods with tofu plans and tofu hymnals. No really. The hymnals only last a few years, because the synods need to print money to stay afloat.

Worried about my enormous holdings in Ever-Tofu, I decided to garden a little this morning. Economic news about China was hard to find, even at Epoch Times, which is Chinese but hardly a cheerleader for those purveyors of death and slavery. The jets flying over Taiwan was a distraction, to make that the China news-of-the-day. Regardless, my broker will alert me when I can short-sell the Three Gorges Dam. I do not want to wait until it is the Two Gorges Dam, if you know what I mean.

I had three Bee Balms arrive in beautiful little boxes with see-through windows. They are in good shape for being shipped. My main concern was getting the roots plumped up with rainwater. Overnight is too much, as I learned once. The Bee Balms were bloated and almost dead. I planted them anyway, and they are still growing well.

Step One - Unpack the three plants and soak them in rainwater. Ignore the jibes about the rain barrels. 

Step Two - Dig a deep hole for each plant. That will leave soft, damp soil for the new plants.

Step Three - Cover each planted Bee Balm base, surround it with a plastic collar to confound critters, and add a bamboo stick to keep the collar in place and the new site conspicuous.

Step Four - Gently soak the area with rainwater. New plants need extra attention, especially when the soil has been dry. We had some good rains, which have arrived just before and just after planting. Otherwise, the soil can easily dry up the newly planted youngling. Rainwater is God's own fertilizer, with abundant available nitrogen. Tap water is chlorinated and lacks usable nitrogen.

Hosta - La Vista











We learned this year that Hosta may thrive at first in the sun but looks horrible during a sunny drought, even with plenty of watering - or - especially with plenty of watering. The plants did well in providing flowers for the Hummingbirds. 

'The Hostas were marched - or hauled - to the back and replanted in the shade garden developed earlier with aggressing pruning. Lambs Ears and some Hosta were already there, so the big established Hostas were planted - and and soon drooped. They suffered from the shock of moving and the dry backyard soil. A long watering fixed the droop while I was tucking in the baby Bee Balms.

We have a few colors of Hosta, but now I would like some blue ones. They all send up flower spikes for the Hummingbirds.