Saturday, January 14, 2023

Paying for Salt



When we have a rare snow or sleet storm, the stores run out of rock salt and more exotic cures. Bush canned beans are loaded with salt (480 mgs), more than 4x the amount in generic beans (110 mgs)! I told the Schwan driver that I would use Bush beans for snow melt from now on. He did not get it.



I was telling him that the prepared Schwan meals were good but far too salty. I can feel blood pressure rising from salty food.

Later I was doing some online grading and decided to use the blood pressure cuff. The figure was much higher than I suspected. Then I looked up the nutritional value of Schwan Southern Biscuits. One (1) small biscuit had 590 mgs! I usually ate two.

One serving of Schwan's four-cheese pizza is 590 mgs! But one serving of their mega-meat pizza is 860 mgs. Their chicken pot pies are 960 mgs. One serving of chicken broccoli fettuccine alfredo is 910 mgs.

I discovered that Perrier and Pellegrino water were also salty, one naturally so. Tea did not appeal to me, so now I keep filtered tap water in the fridge.