Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Hummingbird Effect


I was sitting in the shade of our spacious patio when I saw a large bug hovering on the port side. It moved in front of me, an arm's length away - a hummingbird. He did an up/down left/right exam and went back to feeding. A bit later, I got the same scan from the smaller one - they have separate feeders.

Sassy watches the neighborhood for me. Her attention changes with the audience. Children playing get her 100% attention, and she has a happy look the whole time. Dogs - even on a leash - greatly offend her, and she trots over to ID them. Delivery people are sometimes timid. One left his package halfway up the driveway because Sassy rose slowly from her resting position and assumed her attack dog look. Dog lovers ask about Sassy's nature and bend down to lavish praise (which I suggest). Sassy turns into a lovable puppy with her body wagging in delight.

In front of me, over in the Butterfly Garden, and behind the house, a wide variety of God's creatures charm people. I have had young squirrels look into the kitchen from the outside ledge, as if to say, "Where's our food? Mama told us to lay off the milk and eat at Jackson's." A variety of water sources give them shallow pools for bathing. 

I bought a bag of kettle corn - don't start on me.

"This is the nutrient content of a 100-gram (3.5-oz) serving of air-popped popcorn (5):

  • Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 7% of the RDI.
  • Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 12% of the RDI.
  • Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): 8% of the RDI.
  • Iron: 18% of the RDI.
  • Magnesium: 36% of the RDI.
  • Phosphorus: 36% of the RDI.
  • Potassium: 9% of the RDI.
  • Zinc: 21% of the RDI.
  • Copper: 13% of the RDI.
  • Manganese: 56% of the RDI."
I ate a small amount - no really - and left the rest on the lids of the two barrels. Soon after, a female cardinal landed and began eating. There was no competition, so she kept looking around and eating. What did the bag cost? Nothing - it was borrowed from the entertainment budget.

 Veterans Honor roses are often on the altar, and they are placed on a veteran's grave afterwards.