Monday, June 3, 2024

Tom Fisher - On the Nature of Christ

 



Dear Pastor Jackson, 

The apostles received great comfort being with Jesus. The first thing I thought of this morning was the apostle John leaning on Jesus chest. How wonderful and comforting to picture our Lord Christ letting a big burly strong fisherman named John lean his head and shoulders on Jesus chest like a little child.  

"That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled of the Word of life; (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and show unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;) 1 John 1:2-2

All of the apostles are eye witnesses that Jesus is true God and true man in one person. True God from the beginning. True God, one with God the Father and God the Holy Ghost from all eternity. True man born of the virgin Mary.

 Notice how this passage is infallible eyewitness proof that Jesus is true God from all eternity and also true man born of the virgin Mary. The ears, eyes, and hands of all the apostles invincibly prove Jesus is true God and true man in one person who took all our sins upon Himself, was crucified, dead, buried, and rose from the dead for us. 

Notice how closely and carefully all of the apostles "looked upon" Jesus. They saw Jesus with their own eyes and also carefully "looked upon" Jesus, noticing every characteristic of Christ our Lord.

Christ encouraged all of the apostles to hold onto his hands and his feet after His resurrection. He wanted them to grab hold of Him. The apostle John gives us special comfort by leaning on Jesus chest, invincibly proving Christ is true God and true man in one person for us sinners. 

"Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts? Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." Luke 24:38,39

God our heavenly Father laid all our sins on Jesus His only begotten Son. Here is the ultimate and enduring comfort for our souls: that Christ wrapped Himself in our sins and even claims our sins and our guilt as His own. Psalm 40, 41 and 69 is the Holy Ghost speaking in the person of Christ, claiming our sins and guilt as His own.

"For innumerable evils have compassed me about: mine iniquities have taken hold upon me, so that I am not able to look up; they are more than the hairs of mine head: therefore my heart faileth me." Psalm 40:12

"I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee." Psalm 41:4

"And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever." Psalm 41:12

"O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee." Psalm 69:5

Christ never lost His innocence while he claimed all our sins and guilt as His own. Notice Psalm 41:12 shows Christ is always sinless while He is claiming our sins and guilt as His own.

"And as for me, thou upholdest me in mine integrity, and settest me before thy face for ever." Psalm 41:12

Psalm 40:7-8 is God the Holy Ghost speaking in the person of Christ.  Here we see Christ keeping the law for us while claiming our sins and guilt as His own.

"Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart." Psalm 40:7,8

Luther explains this in his lectures on Galatians:

"Isaiah 53:6 speaks the same way about Christ. It says: 'God has laid on Him the iniquities of us all.' These words must not be diluted but must be left in their precise and serious sense. For God is not joking in the words of the prophet; He is speaking seriously and out of great love, namely, that this Lamb of God, Christ, should bear the iniquity of us all. But what does it mean to 'bear'? The sophists reply: 'To be punished.' Good. But why is Christ punished? Is it not because He has sin and bears sin? That Christ has sin is the testimony of the Holy Spirit in the Psalms. Thus in Psalm 40:12 we read: mine iniquities have taken hold upon Me' ; in Psalm 41:4: 'I said, LORD, be merciful unto me: heal my soul; for I have sinned against thee' ; and in Psalm 69:5: O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from thee.'" In these Psalms the Holy Spirit is speaking in the Person of Christ and testifying in clear words that He has sinned or has sins. These testimonies of the Psalms are not the words of an innocent one; they are the words of the suffering Christ, who undertook to bear the person of all sinners and therefore was made guilty of the sins of the entire world." (Martin Luther; LW; CPH; Vol. 26; pgs. 278-279 ISBN 0-570-06426-0)

"For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin, that we might be made the righteousness of God in him." 2 Corinthians 5:21

"All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." Isaiah 53:6

In Christ,

Tom Fisher